Saturday, October 2, 2010

Focus


So much is going on. Will the Giants win the pennant? Distractions.
I think I may have mentioned that I'm going to be participating in an all-women art/craft show at Fort Mason in San Francisco in December. However, Chris will be able to help me get my booth set up, luckily. Since we'll be in the Bay Area, he'll visit his folks during the show.
Our line of pottery has focussed on his wonderful animal sculptures for the past 25 years or so. I do make functional ware, but this upcoming show is inspiring me to stretch out. I've been experimenting with some new shapes and glazes. As always, I'm taken by the Japanese aesthetic. Yesterday I was in an art trance looking at old Asian textiles. Woven silks and woolens. There were so many references to nature...the way water flows, the beauty of falling leaves, sunlight on fields.
I like their focus on lovely items of every day use.

My concern is that today's hard-working artisans who make beautiful handmade wares survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment