Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Knowing the Clay


I've taken some time to look at other potters' websites this past week. It's always surprising to see the many different ways that clay can be used as an expressive medium. I've always loved John Glick's work, and I saw a piece of his that has gone to the top of my list of drool-overs - A basket with beautiful green glazing and impressed designs, shown at the right.

Sometimes I regret not having had an art school education. I got a Master's degree in English Lit, which has given me immeasurable pleasure in reading, but isn't terribly helpful with mixing glazes!
On the other hand, making pottery is often a learning -through- doing enterprise. Someone once said that the best pottery education was to work your way through a ton of clay! I've done that many times over! Knowing the clay, seeing how far you can take it before it protests, is what's needed.

To see more of John Glick's work: http://www.johnglick.com/
Another good website is Emily Murphy's. She has a list of favorite potters' blogs and websites, as well as examples of her own fine work: http://potteryblog.com/category/blogging/tour-of-ceramics-blogs/

No comments:

Post a Comment