Thursday, September 2, 2010

Philosophy

I'm not a religious person. That is, I don't subscribe to any religion in particular. There is always some
belief or rule that makes me shake my head, with organized religion. Also, religion seems to separate people, rather than bring them together, in the larger sense. But, there are philosophies, thoughts, that sometimes resonate with me.

For instance, I've been asked " How do you know right from wrong if you don't have a creed?"
I've always felt that we know through our own senses. I know that being lied to, stolen from, attacked,etc. is wrong - because I can feel it, and it hurts. I'm like others, so, in most cases, they too must experience what I feel. To cause that hurt is wrong.

This morning I was moved when I read the following quotation from the Dalai Lama, online:

"To the extent that our experience of suffering reminds us of what everyone else also endures, it serves as a powerful inspiration to practice compassion and avoid causing others pain. And to the extent that suffering awakens our empathy and causes us to connect with others, it serves as the basis of compassion and love."

Right on, my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment